Saturday, March 10, 2007

Martha Jeff 8K

...in only 53 min! That's 10:40 per mile. Pretty impressive, when you consider the various diseases mama's been exposed to in the past couple weeks. I woke up this morning with my throat feeling like I'd been gargling pea gravel all night. I briefly pondered switching my entry from the 8k run to the 4k walk, but decided that in true mama style, I should go big or go home.

It was pretty chilly at the start, and I arrived extra early, since I hadn't been able to pick up my packet the night before. I ran into lots of friends before the start, so when the whistle blew, I was in good spirits, and just cold enough that I was really ready to get moving.

The 8k follows a pretty hilly course through the greater downtown area. First, Lexington Ave, where we'd be living now, if only we could afford it. I did the first mile in right around 10 minutes. Then, Park Street and 2nd street toward the Mall. The first of many steep hills. Mile 2, just before the Mall. I reached in under 21 minutes, but was really feeling overwhelmed, winded, and a little queasy. Just as I entered the Mall, I encountered another Max's mom, and we ran together until I died on the hill at McIntire. It was just relentlessly long. I walked up the second half of it, and ate a Shot Blok on the way up. Note to self, Shot Bloks should not be used four months after removal from original packaging. I basically had to just suck it, since it was pretty well fossilized after hiding in a baggie ever since Richmond.

I crossed mile 3 after a nice downhill on Water, and was feeling pretty strong. A quick turn off Water, and under the tracks to Garrett. Pound, pound, pound. Near the end of Mile 4 came the most ridiculously steep hill I think I've ever run in a race. And long. I can't do justice to its steepness with words. Again, I took the opportunity to slow to a walk, and take another Shot Blok lozenge. Honestly, I think I walked faster than I could have run on this hill. I finished Mile 4 in under 44 minutes, so I was pretty happy.

Mile 5 went through Belmont and past Spudnuts, where the temptation to pick up a dozen donuts and carry them the rest of the way to the finish was almost overwhelming. Over the slight uphill of the Belmont bridge, a couple of quick turns and boom! I was sprinting to the finish. I felt great, like I could keep going for a few more miles, but was perfectly happy to stop and have my bagel.

I forgot to hit my watch until well down in the chute, but I think my time was about 53 minutes. I should get the not-flu more often.

I hung around to catch up with some old friends, and chowed down on orange sections, half a bagel, and, god bless the race sponsor who donated it, a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie. Mmmmm. I stayed so long I was actually present when my name was called for a door prize! I won a massage and facial at a day spa - how cool is that. I'm definitely going to take advantage of that after the 10 miler.

No comments: