Saturday, December 01, 2007

Two more down

So, it wasn't all running. But I ran and walked my butt off today, so I'm giving myself credit for two.

My dad ran/walked the men's four miler this morning, so I headed out to Free Union to spectate. I arrived at the Chapel (about 1/4 mile from the start) just moments before the mass of runners pounded by. I saw my dad, cheered for him, waited for the last runner, and then headed out on the course. I went to just past the 1/2 mile mark, just over the crest of the last hill where I had a good view up to the 3 mile mark. By the time I got there, the first place runner was already zooming by. As a proud alumna of the Scream Tunnel, you better believe that I worked up a sweat spectating. Since I was just below the crest of a hill near the end of the race, there were some pretty tired souls, who were gracious enough to say "thank you" to me as I cheered and clapped and screamed encouragement.

It's these back-of-the-packers who make spectating so much fun. The guys in the lead are rightfully concentrating on staying in the lead. The guys just behind them are running really really hard trying to catch up, or win their age group, or set a PR. But then just behind them are those who are amateurs, and I mean that in the full sense of the word. The root of the word amateur is love. Without the promise of winning, their motivation is entirely intrinsic. For them to have cheering and encouragement is usually unexpected, and always icing on the cake.

I've read a few articles lately written by fast runners who don't believe that those of us who are 5+ hour marathoners have any right to run marathons. The arguments generally all take the tone of "if you can't take it seriously enough to put in 100 miles a week, it's dangerous and disrespectful." I beg to differ.

First, the danger aspect. There's danger inherent in great physical exertion, no matter how well trained you are. One only has to think of the recent death of Ryan Shay at the Olympic marathon trials. Gentle readers, I assure you that I am well aware of the toll that 26.2 miles can take on my body and mind. I ran Richmond in 80 degree heat and was, relatively speaking, about as comfortable as possible due to my careful hydration and electrolyte replacement. I trained in the heat, I researched the effects it would have on my body, and I took every possible precaution to stay safe. And I did.

Second, the disrespect. I assure you, that though I have an incredibly full life outside of running, and though I lack any genetic gift for running at all, I surely respect this distance. My relationship with it is different than yours, certainly, but my reasons for being at a race are no less valid than yours. Surely my presence isn't weighing you down from the back of the pack. Any animosity you feel toward me is yours and yours alone. You run your race, and I run mine.

And let's face it, it's the peons and the masses that make it possible for you to have a bevy of well-supported marathons from which to choose. There wouldn't be a Richmond without the throngs who enter for the fun, the challenge, and the life-changing experience.

Anyway, back to the four miler. My dad was in the last handful of runners, but still looked strong. I ran and walked the rest of the way to the finish with him, encouraging to keep a fast walk when he couldn't run. With the cones of the finish chute in sight, I told him to kick hard, and I slowed to a walk, to let him have the accomplishment of crossing the finish line all to himself. Way to go, Dad!!!

Anyway, I then had to walk the 1/4 mile or so back to the car, which brought me to nearly 1 mile for the morning. And all in jeans and carrying my purse! Then later, I pushed Max in the buggy for a 1.5 miles walk with Louise. So I think I'm perfectly legit in claiming a couple of miles toward my goal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll offer my own comments as both a runner and a spectator.

I compete, as a runner, as evidence to myself that, even at the age of 55, I can improve physically. That's contrary to nature, which tells us that our bodies are breaking down, slowing up, so I have to work harder in my training to improve. I love that fact that I ran the Men's 4-Miler more than a minute and a half faster this year than I did last year. Working hard and enduring discomfort (maybe even pain) to achieve a goal gives me great satisfaction.

That said, I've also run races where I intentionally haven't performed at my best. Those were times when I ran with my daughter and it was more important to me to run at a pace that would test her limits and provide encouragement to her than it was for me to excel.

As a spectator, I love to see runners who show signs of effort. If there's a group of runners approaching the finish line and one in the back has some fire in the eyes, I'll encourage him/her to turn it on, to pass the others. It gives me great satisfaction to see that runner accept my challenge and move into overdrive.

I also appreciate seeing runners who are clearly overweight and, probably running their first race. If they're working hard, they'll get my loudest cheers. I understand what an accomplishment they're making and know that the act of completing a race may be the first step in a life-change for that runner.

What I don't appreciate is seeing people dogging it. At the OBX marathon, last month, I watched one young woman walking/jogging towards the finish line, seeming oblivious to the event, talking on her cellphone. Give me a break.

But, you're right - as a runner, it does me no harm if other folks participate with other objectives. If they paid their entry fee, they can run their own race. As a spectator, though, I can't quite bring myself to applaud nonchalance.

Happy running.

Harry Landers

Mama Marathon said...

Thanks for your thoughtful comment, Harry. I definitely cheer louder and clap harder for the people who are, at the very least, giving it the old college try.