Saturday, September 01, 2007

Women's 4 Miler - PR!!

Tee hee. I've never raced this distance, so OF COURSE it's a PR!! That said, it was better than I actually thought I would do, but not as good as I was hoping.

I didn't sleep well last night, and didn't have my pre-race nightmare, so I was just a little off when I got out to the course. I had a little coffee, and about half a banana on the way over. Trouble is, I got there at 6:50, and the race doesn't start until 8. So there was a lot of warming up and milling around, and by the time we were corralled at 7:35, I was already hungry again. I took two caffeinated Shot Bloks, but I don't think they made much of a difference by that point.

Corralling was quite a process/spectacle. Organized chaos. The runners are corralled, and then you march with your pace group out to the start. We started lining up at 7:35, and it took until the gun went off at 8 to get everyone where they needed to be. And as someone who is in a not so fast pace group, my gripe with every race of any size was valid for this one - no one more than a few dozen rows back can hear any starter's announcement or the gun.

It took about 45 seconds for me to cross the start. I was shoulder to shoulder for the first half mile, and ran 5:15. I made the turnaround at mile 1 in 10:30. Mile 2 (passing the start/finish) was just about 21:00. So far, so good. Then the water stop just after mile 2, where I made a big mistake.

I usually run with a CamelBak, so I haven't mastered drinking from a cup while running. I hadn't really planned on needing to drink, but the hours since wake-up and race time had left me pretty thirsty. I slowed to a walk to drink. The water stop, much to my chagrin, was at the bottom of the biggest hill on the course. So when I finished drinking, I was all slowed down, with no momentum, looking up a hill. I walked up most of it, and ended up doing mile 3 in about 11:30.

I enjoyed the downhill on mile 4, sprinted the last 100 or so for a 10:22, and finished in 42:52 (10:43/mi avg) chip time. I had hoped to do 10:30; 10:45 was what I thought I'd do.

I'm not sure if I'll run this race again. I'm glad I did it, and I'll definitely volunteer to help with it, but I'm not so compelled to actually run it again. Driving down Garth, I saw all the names of the honorees writ large on signs lining the road. That was very inspirational. And the standing ovation given to the last-place finisher was something to behold as well. But the course is a narrow 2 lane road, with runners going in both directions, and it was very difficult to concentrate on running when there were racing novices darting side to side, slowing to a walk in the middle of the course, and just a lot of tightly packed bodies with flying limbs. And the logistics mean lots more standing around time than running time. And I really, really wanted to just go off somewhere by myself while 2700 women did the "awesome cheer."

But, over $200,000 was raised for the Breast Care and Cancer Center, so woooooohoooo!

No comments: