Saturday, September 15, 2007

Pepsi 10K

The morning started off on a great foot. The weather was bee-yoo-ti-ful. Fall has arrived! I woke up with plenty of time to spare, had a little breakfast, and arrived in time to pick up my number and still warm up. I had a chance to socialize a little.

The gun went off, and I made sure to pace myself. Mile 1 was in 10:40. I did about the same for mile 2. And 3. And 4!! Way to pace, self! The second water stop was just after mile 4 at the turnaround. The newly crisp air had left my mouth parched, and since I wasn't wearing my CamelBak, I wasn't able to sip 'n' run. So I had waaaay too much water. By the end of mile 5, I was feeling sloshy, but I still reached it in 54:00. Mile 6 (and the .2), not so hot. End result, I had a sloshy tummy and a side stitch, and just got eaten by the hills for a final time of around 1:08. Ergh. (Edited later to add: Hey, for the last 1.2, my pace was 11:40, which is slow, but not nearly as slow as I'd thought, especially considering the amount of walking I did. I'm feeling better about this!)

After stopping, I really felt crummy, and seriously thought I was going to throw up. I nibbled a bagel, until I spied some friends eating cookies. They directed me to the source of the chocolate chip-y goodness, and two cookies later I was good as new. I hung around hoping that my name would get called for a grab bag prize, but gave up and headed home once the two golf passes were gone.

Spent the rest of the morning doing strength training, i.e., toting Max around the construction equipment rodeo. Fun, but boy oh boy was I glad when nap time rolled around.

No comments: