Thursday, July 26, 2007

Yikes, Thursday already

How'd that happen? I got in a great run - outside! not on a treadmill! - on Monday. I think it was around 2 miles, then I did another half or so on the torture machine. I figured I'd do my other weekday run at lunch on Wednesday, but it was not to be. Max had giant, and I mean huge, like, I should have taken a picture huge because they must be seen to be believed, lymph nodes. He had a skosh of a fever Saturday afternoon, but otherwise seemed quite happy and healthy. By Tuesday, the nodes were even larger, and I heard that a few kids at school had strep, so I reluctantly made an appointment with the pediatrician for Wednesday morning. Great, I thought, I'm going to be late to work and the doctor will just pat my head, and tell me to give him Tylenol and come back in a week if they're still enlarged.

The nurse was quite impressed with the lymph nodes, and peppered me with questions about whether we had cats (yes, but elderly and declawed), or if he had been exposed to any strange diseases (you never really know at day care), or what other strange symptoms had he had (none). The doctor took a throat culture and gave a long speech about what the next step was if/when it came up negative for strep. But no sooner had the exam room door clicked behind her than she was back. Eureka! The strep test had turned positive in record time. So, no school for Max, no work for Mama, no precious, precious lunch hour workout. Today was a similar wash - Max had to stay home until he'd been on the antibiotics 24 hours (as if he hadn't already been spreading pestilence around day care earlier in the week), and I had a work deadline bearing down upon me.

We did manage a few wagon rides, though. Does that count?

I almost forgot - I got new shoes! Hooray! Good for me. I went with the same shoes I first got back in December. And I am happy to report that instead of blah blue, they now feature punchy purple as their highlight color! They're still more serviceable than pretty, though.

I think tomorrow will be a wash, too. I have serious work to catch up on, plus there's a 9 mile track workout Saturday, and I don't want to overexert beforehand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw your link on the Ellis Paul blog, and am always impressed with mom's that run distance. Good for you. Everyone who reads your blog should be really, really impressed. I'm a marathon mom myself, so I know how hard both those things are.

Mama Marathon said...

Thanks much, anonymous. :)