Saturday, July 28, 2007

Track workout

I was supposed to do 9, but the workout was only about 4, plus a 2 mile warmup, and 1 mile cooldown, so I ended up doing only 7. Seven was plenty.

We've been spoiled by cool mornings all summer, and this was the first really humid run of the season. The air was sweaty. Since I've been running either in the a.c., or in 60 degree temps, the sweaty air kicked my sweaty butt. I drank waaaaay too much water after the first interval. And I have no Endurolytes, since I've been lulled into thinking that an ounce or two of Gatorade is enough electrolytes to sustain me.

The workout went like this:
2 mi warmup through hilly neighborhood streets. I should have just done my warmup on the track.

4 laps at 10:30
Up the hill, down the hill
3 laps at 7:45
Up the hill, down the hill
2 laps at 5:15
Up the hill, down the hill
1 lap at 2:25
Up the hill, down the hill

1-2 mi cooldown

I did the mile in right around 10:30, maybe 10:35 or something like that. Then I chugged a lot of water, and ate half a pack of Sport Beans. The uphill kicked my ass. It is incredibly steep. And halfway up, you turn off the path, and run through the uneven grass and mud. And then you run down. I'd gotten used to the nice paved road at UVA, where you jog down first, then surge up.

My 3 laps, I did mostly with Pamela, who wanted to chat. At some point, I just couldn't talk any more, and feigned a side stitch to fall behind her. So I ended up a little slow on the 1200.

Then the uphill really kicked my ass, as the excessive amount of water I'd had started to catch up with me.

Let us not talk about the 800, nor about the uphill that followed it.

The final lap, I completed in 2:23. Go me!!!! And then I treated myself to a cooldown on the track.

Coach Mark was there for the entire session. He never remembers my name, but he did do a little "rah rah" on my way uphill, and reminded me to turn over my legs faster (dear heart, I would if I could) and really use my arms. I stopped to ask him about my sore arch, and to my surprise, he remembered exactly what my stride looked like, and advised me to come in to the shop this week to work on my inserts. When I bought the new shoes, I intended to buy new inserts as well, but they were out of my size. So my current ones have a lot of miles on them.

And best of all, today was schwag day for the training program. We all got free shirts that say "distance is my game." So there you go.

When I got home and emptied my CamelBak, I realized I had drunk almost an entire liter of water with no more electrolytes than contained in a pack of Sport Beans. That's just stupid. And I've paid for my stupidity with that slightly hungover feeling. I finished off the last of the Pringles, and ate a banana to help, but I don't expect to feel quite right until tomorrow.

No comments: