Saturday, July 14, 2007

Seven miles

An unseasonably cool morning on Ridge Road. I arrived late and missed whatever inspiration Coach Mark doled out to the more punctual folks. The pace groups were already leaving when I arrived. I said a brief hello to Jim, and I was off. Given the two miles here and there I've been doing, I felt great for, oh, two miles. Mile 3 was okay, but not stellar. I turned around after 3.5, and mile 5 really whipped me. At one point, I felt pretty nauseated. It was not pleasant. My knees also felt a little creaky - all that carrying Max around last week really put a lot of stress on my joints. I felt a lot better after mile 6, and I finished strong. Overall, my pace was around 11:25, better than I would have guessed after missing two long runs, but not where I want to be.

On the treadmill the other day, I realized that when I run faster, my form is better, my whole body feels better. When I run my normal (slow) speed, everything's bunched up. I feel like I've found a good stride, but it's a matter of getting my heart and lungs to keep up with what feels good to my body.

After the run, I pushed Max in the stroller on a reasonably long walk with Louise that left me pooped. After lunch, I took advantage of Max's naptime to have one of my own.

No comments: