Wednesday, July 19, 2006

4.5 Miles

I was fully broiled by the end of the run. Nothing like baking on asphalt for nearly an hour with the sun in your eyes to ensure that there's no pink in the middle.

I ran down to the walking trail, and ran the full length of it. It's not very long. It's not even as shady as I thought. Only about half of it is in any real shade. But it is lovely, and there are wild blackberry bushes, and it does skirt the golf course. There are even a couple of wooden bridges over a stream. But there are some unpleasant aspects. I came around a bend by the pond where the geese live, to a portion of the path with a substantial amount of goose poop on it. The bright sunlight glinted off flies making a meal of the goose poop. Except as I got closer, I realized they weren't flies, they were hornets.

My greatest phobia is stinging insects. I've made peace with my phobia. It's a perfectly sensible phobia, as phobias go. There are a host of good reasons to be afraid of things like hornets and to go to great lengths to avoid them. Add another reason to the list - SPEED!!!!!!!! Poky mama damn near broke the sound barrier to get away from the hornets' picnic. It was exhilirating to move that fast! But then the adrenaline wore off and I came to the end of the path, and I was back roasting on pavement.

No comments: