Saturday, June 14, 2008

enjoy the journey

Opening day was a success. There were about 80 kajillion women there. It was hot, but not as hot as it has been lately.

Team Miscellaneous began arriving at 6am to find the track locked. Fortunately, someone from facilities came along lickety-split to unlock it. Coach Mark was having a speed workout while we started to set up, and it made me a little sad to be attaching paper flowers to the fence instead of pushing hard doing Yasso 800's. Cynthia Lorenzoni was leading the pack of women, and it was something else to watch her run. Even in her 40's after 4 kids, she still looks awesome. She also happens to be the race director for the 4 Miler and the co-founder, and many women here (myself included) owe her a big debt of gratitude for not-so-gently encouraging us to add "athlete" to our resumes.

So, 1 box of sidewalk chalk, 1 balloon arch, about 100 tissue paper flowers, a flock of flamingos, several tables, 1 hearse with pink flames, and some organized chaos later, hordes of women started arriving. Hordes. I knew a few folks that were coming, and sort of expected that I might see a few of them. I saw none. I did run into a few people that I had no idea were coming, and that was a pleasant surprise.

The big show kicked off a little late, and much to my horror the pink ladies had to run onto the track with a lot of fanfare, and then we were supposed to kind of dance around. I stood and clapped, and tried not to die of embarrassment. It's no accident that I went to a college with no sororities and buried myself in my studies.

Pep talks by various folks (including Joan wearing Depends and a giant pink bra) followed, and then we started out on our workout for the day. For the walkers, it was once around for a warmup, two laps, and then one more cooldown lap, for a total of a mile. I can say that while I really enjoy supporting women who, for the most part, are new to exercising, it did break my heart just a little to finally be on the track, and to be walking. Oh, I wanted to do an all-out 400 just to see how it would feel. But I stayed back with the walkers, though I do admit to jogging one straightaway with the beginners.

Once finished, the horde headed for the infield for guided stretching. Us Pink Ladies are supposed to set a good example and stretch. True confession time - I only stretch directly after a run if I feel tight. After a one-mile lope, not so much. I would usually save that for my regular bedtime stretch. But ever the follower of rules, I did it, dispensing stretching wisdom ("oh, just google IT band stretch") along the way.

I stayed a bit to help clean up, and managed to pilfer a balloon for Max, who was absolutely delighted.

I'm pooped from being on my feet for 3 hours, and getting up at 5:15, but I had a fantastic time this morning, and hope that I do a great job with the walkers as the season progresses.

Now the obligatory plug - if you couldn't make it today, you can still come! Registration is open every Saturday - just show up at 7:45 at the track. Be sure to register ASAP for the race, though. Registration is usually full by the 4th of July.

No comments: