Saturday, June 21, 2008

another pink saturday

Another Saturday with the Pink Ladies! I missed the Wednesday rookie run as Max had given me a nice case of Coxsackie virus this week. I felt like I worked out though - I was shivering so hard from the chills that my muscles were stiff and sore yesterday. I was a little unsure about going to the track this morning, and contemplated sleeping in, but figured that a little fresh air would do me good and that a few laps around the track wouldn't be the end of me.

Much to my horror, the Pink Ladies continue their peppy introductions every week, not just for opening day. Crap. I don't think my visor can go down any lower. But once the running and walking got started, my morning improved substantially. Most of the walkers in the back of the pack seemed to be paired up, so I speed-walked ahead till I found a lonely soul who was happy to have company. And after the run, I actually had a blast handing out car magnets to the participants. I saw so many people I knew, a lot of whom didn't know I was pregnant again. I stayed much longer than I planned.

I had always used running as a way to gain a little solitude, to be among like-minded folks while not having the pressure to interact. But the social aspect is rubbing off on me just a little bit. Honestly, it's kind of all I have right now, so I'd better learn to love it.

I still think the music is too loud, and the track too crowded, but I'm willing to cope with that.

Damn you, Pink Ladies, quit making me like this!!

2 comments:

Indysay said...

Hi Mama Marathon... the only think keeping me from training is the fact that I'm breastfeeding. I plan on running the Seattle marathon in November (possibly sooner) and DD will be almost 1. The other issue I have is leakage after my VBAC (so happy I did it!!). That is... urine leakage. I'd love any tips around either, especially breastfeeding while training for a marathon.

Mama Marathon said...

I trained for a marathon while breastfeeding - it was tough, but doable. I definitely had to scale back my goals and expectations. If I was sick (and with a baby in day care, I was sick a lot!), I didn't run. If I was having trouble getting enough calories, I dialed down the mileage. Hydration was extremely important as well - I bought the largest capacity CamelBak fanny pack. There's no way I could have trained without it while BFing. And keeping the electrolytes in balance is also important - I used Endurolytes.

Oh, one more thing - A GOOD BRA. I am not hugely endowed even when nursing, but finally getting the right bra made a big difference for me! I found a great one from Champion with adjustable straps and a back clasp, with their highest support rating.

For the leakage, kegel, kegel, kegel. Anytime you're just sitting around, do those kegels. Your OB/GYN may be able to refer you to a physical therapist who is experienced in pelvic floor issues, and the PT can give you more specific exercises to do.

Good luck!!