Saturday, October 07, 2006

Seventeen Miles

ROCK ON!!!

Today's run was wonderful on many levels. I ran the whole thing with Claudia and Jim. I was powering up hills for about the first 2/3. I did the 17 miles I set out to do. I felt like I'd accomplished something significant when I was done. I got a chocolate mint Clif Bar.

But it was not without adversity. Two words: Driving rain. Oh, and one more: Cold. I ran 17 miles in the driving rain and the cold. I am not kidding or exaggerating. It was about 45 degrees, and the radio was rife with flood warnings on the dark and winding drive over. I was completely soaked by the end. Heck, I was completely soaked by about three miles into it, despite sporting my brand-new fluorescent "water resistant" top layer. My feet were so wet that at the end, they were white and wrinkled. I have blisters on the bottoms of my toes. I wore a fleece toque the whole time, and still had a few moments where I was shivering. My legs got so cold that they started cramping up with about four miles to go and I walked/run-shuffled to the end. The last three miles were the longest @$#%^#&^ three miles of my life. Longer than the last three miles hiking out of the Grand Canyon.

I can't imagine that I'll feel any happier or more emotional at the end of 26.2.

Sunday evening update: 36 hours later, my shoes are still wet.

1 comment:

IronMo said...

that's my girl!!! woo!!! congrats on a great run. I will do 16 next Sun :)

To dry out the sneakers: take out the insoles, ball up some newspaper, and stuff it inside. They'll be dry in no time.