Saturday, September 30, 2006

Track workout - 9? 10? total

Today's track workout was the reward for last week's awful run. Mark was there, and gave us a pep talk, and the lowdown on the run. A 2 mile warmup, then 6 laps, down a hill, "surge" up the hill back to the track, then 4 laps, hill surge thingy, 3, hill, 2, hill, 1, 1-2 mile cooldown. I was way faster than I thought I'd be - at an easy pace, I was still doing 10:30 miles. 10:30? Me? What? How'd that happen? I mean, I was really trying to go slow. But there I was, at 10:30. Huh. Such a difference from last week when I struggled to do 12:00.

Of course, it was all put into perspective when I was "surging" (read: huffing and puffing) my way up the hill and the guy who won the Pepsi 10K blasted past me. Oh, *that's* what Mark meant by "surge." Yeah, mama don't surge.

But what really mattered was that I felt powerful. Not only that, but it was just a lovely day to be running. It was cold this morning - tights and fleece and see your breath cold. It was really difficult to get my butt out of my heated seat and into the cold, dark morning. But the first several laps around the track had a vista of pink and red clouds as the sun rose over the pregnant clam. The view alone was worth getting up at 5:30.

I also had a chance to chat with an old airline buddy - he's training for Richmond, too. I hadn't seen him in years, until last week on Dick Woods, there he was! Since our company went under, he's been with JetBlue, down at the bottom of the seniority ladder. But JetBlue's treating him right, and hopefully he'll be upgrading to captain again sometime soon.

No comments: