Monday, June 19, 2006

Two Miles

Coach Mark gives great tips for running in the VA heat and humidity. The first on the list is not to run after 9am. I figured I'd wake up around 7, feed the boy, and head out for a run by 8 or so. Max woke up about 7:30 or so. I nursed him, then had some cereal. Then fed him some cereal (oatmeal and bananas - he just started solids last week). Then nursed him again for his nap. Put him down for a nap, changed clothes, headed out to run. Time? 9:15. And all I did was feed the baby!

Today's run was supposed to be two miles. But up until today, I'd been running by time, not worrying about mileage. So I don't have any idea how far my normal routes are. I know that to the ark and back is about 3 miles. Give or take. Farther if you go all the way past the ark to the trailers. So, I ran not quite to the ark and back. My strategy was to do something resembling the distance on my program, while being able to be back at home in time to get showered and changed, and out the door by 10:15. This boiled down to about 20 minutes of running in oppressive heat and humidity (Mark was right), and such a quick shower that I was still sweating when I got out. But, Max got to school, and I got to work on time.

No comments: