Wednesday, June 28, 2006

3 Miles

I was really dragging ass today. Maybe because it was approximately 118% humidity again. Maybe because it was on it's way to being 90 degrees today. Maybe because I can't possibly consume enough calories to sustain myself and my almost entirely breastfed son.

By my estimation, Max eats about 30 ounces of breastmilk per day. At 22 calories per ounce, that's 660 calories. I pump slightly more than he eats, to add to the freezer stash and make up for day care wastage. So just by lactating, I'm burning 700 calories per day.

At 5'2" and 115 pounds, my basal metabolic rate is about 1300 calories per day.*

So I'm up to 2000 calories, and I haven't even factored in things like showering and diaper changing, let alone running.

One mile of running burns about 90 calories.*

So today, with just my morning run, and nothing else more strenuous than breathing, I need 2270 calories. Consider that I often walk the mile from the parking garage to work, plus I haul around my 18+ pound baby (and wiggle his legs while singing Yankee Doodle Dandy), plus I do regular mom things like cooking dinner, washing dishes, doing laundry. Which means I need at least 2500 calories on a day with a short run.

No wonder I weigh less now than I did before I got pregnant.

I'm always hungry. I eat a lot. It was fun for a while (second helping of cake? Sure!!), but now I'm just tired of eating all the time. I'm tired of being hungry. I'm bored by all the food. But I gotta have it.

I guess I could have bigger problems.



*per calculators found using google, so this may or may not be accurate

No comments: