Thursday, December 04, 2008

Game on!

I could never believe those women who were at the gym days after giving birth, until now. I had the world's easiest birth, left the hospital the next day, and felt completely recovered almost immediately. Boy oh boy did I luck out! Even after Max's relatively easy birth it was more than a week before I wanted to walk farther than the distance from the nursing chair to the bassinet.

I've been taking long walks daily since Sami was 2 or 3 days old, and today finally found time to hit the gym! Nothing hardcore - I walked there and back from my parents' place, which is maybe a mile total, and then lifted some weights and stretched. It felt great to be able to move and twist and bend again, though I'll admit that the emotional anguish of squeezing my postpartum belly into my workout gear more than made up for any lack of physical pain. I feel good, but I am definitely still recovering - I still have the feeling like my pelvis isn't connected all the way around, and I can practically feel my ligaments trying to knit themselves back together. Add in the ten extra pounds I'm still carrying, and general loss of muscle tone and I still have a really long way to go. But I am on track for the New Year's Day 5K, even though I'll probably walk all or most of it. I love having a goal again!

1 comment:

iJuls said...

Yeah YOU! Go Mama marathon!