Sunday, October 14, 2007

no rest for the weary

The thing about being a mom-athlete is that rest and recovery after a race are really "rest" and "recovery." Last year, I carted Max up and down the stairs within hours after the marathon. Luckily, my mom hung around long enough to lift him in and out of the bathtub. This year, no different. The Supportive Husband is a photographer, so most Saturdays he's shooting a wedding. So once Max went down for his nap yesterday, I was on my own. At least the Supportive Husband had done an excellent job of getting Max worn out, so I could expect a long nap, giving me an opportunity to put my feet up. Though that didn't quite work out - Max is adored by a little girl down the street who rang the doorbell at regular intervals to ask if he was up from his nap yet and could he come out to play.

Then as soon as he was up, it was off to the pumpkin patch. How better to recover from a race than toting a 30-pound toddler, one giant pumpkin, and two huge gourds around the local plant nursery.

But Sunday, day of rest, right? At least Max got the memo that he was supposed to sleep in! I emerged from my race-induced coma after a blissful 10 hours of sleep. I don't think I've slept that long since he was born! But once he was up, rest was over. I made a pancake breakfast, took Max on a wagon ride around the neighborhood, went to Target for diapers, grocery shopped for the week, filled the MamaMobile with gas, and hurried home so that the Supportive Husband could go meet with clients. Then, hit the ground running again. Max is learning to jump, so I did a lot of jumping today.

In some ways, I'm glad I never really ran before I had kids. I'd hate to know that in another life, I'd spent the day or two after the race lounging in the jacuzzi eating bonbons.

1 comment:

Wabi said...

Congrats on your recent race AND managing to juggle the pancakes with the muscle fatigue and whatnot.

I keep trying to figure out how to fit more exercise in my daily life, and am always impressed when I see others doing so.