Monday, October 01, 2007

7 miles

The waning gibbous moon was so bright that I didn't need my headlamp even though the sun was still fast asleep. It was cool, almost chilly. After the run, I was picking up the coolers that two other runners had set out, so I waited to start until I could coordinate with and get the chalk from them to take back to the shop. One asked me if I wanted to run with her, but I declined, not wanting to slow her down. As soon as she took off, I regretted it.

By the time I started, the sun was beginning to rise, and before I knew it the day had dawned with a clear blue sky. I got to the two mile water stop, paused briefly, and just kept going. I got to the stop at 3.5, paused just long enough to take two shot bloks (1 caf, 1 decaf) and an Endurolyte. I turned back, and cruised right on past the 2 mile water stop. Overall, I averaged just about 11:00/mi, which is great. For the second week in a row, I ran every step, except for a pause at the water stops. This is almost unheard of for me. Even last year, when I was running more miles, I hardly ever ran an entire long run. But suddenly, I just feel like everything has clicked. I'm in decent shape, I'm not injured (knock on wood), the weather is relenting, and I'm clear-headed about my purpose.

I've also finally worked out a few of the small details, that didn't seem like a big deal, but really do impact my runs. Poop before a long run, no exceptions. Eat before a long run, maybe half a banana or so. Drink before a long run. Take 1 Endurolyte before a long run. Get lots of rest two nights before a long run. Take two Shot Bloks, 1 caf, 1 decaf, every four miles. If necessary, add 1 decaf at mile 6 and/or 10. Wear a hat, not for warmth or to keep the sun off my head, but to keep my hair from flopping into my face. Wear tights (short, long, or capri-length) on a long run. Wear a CamelBak and sip, don't wait two miles to hydrate. Stretch within an hour after a run.

I don't think any of this is really making me that much faster, but it sure doesn't hurt. Long runs are just so much more pleasant. I'm not completely wrecked for the rest of the day, and it doesn't take as long to recover.

No comments: