Friday, March 07, 2008

8k tomorrow

I did not have my pre-race nightmare last night, which freaks me out more than the forecast. For those of you not here in town, it's going to be rainy and 45 degrees. Which makes it so hard to decide what to wear. Tights, for sure. And I think I'm going to wear my shell, but not sure if I'll pair it with a short-sleeved shirt or long-sleeved shirt. And I'm not sure if I'll wear my baseball hat or fleece toque. I'm leaning towards the baseball hat, since I'm worried about being too warm with the shell on. One thing's for sure, I will not be sporting the extremely green and humongous race shirt. Luckily, I know people, and have a covered parking spot just a block from the start, so I can bring a ton of stuff in the car, and change my mind at the last minute if I need to.

I'm actually more worried about being overdressed than about being cold and wet. Cold and wet is a given; I can't control it. In fact, it's kind of liberating. All bets are off when the weather's like this. Being cold and wet gives you something to think about other than setting a PR, or how much your feet hurt. For me anyway, in these conditions, my usual inner monologue gets switched off, and I find it easier to just be in the moment, and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Keep an eye out for me - I'll be the one running about a 10:50ish (if I'm lucky) pace wearing a fluorescent yellow and grey shell who answers to "Max's Mom."

No comments: