Monday, February 04, 2008

Four miles

The forecast was for warmer weather, so I dropped Max off at daycare and headed to the Monticello Trail for two up and two down. Only on the way there it started raining. I came very close to bagging it, and heading to the gym instead, but decided I needed to suck it up and start bringing my A-game and actually TRAIN for the ten-miler.

It had stopped raining by the time I got to the parking lot, and I was delighted. And then about 100 yards from the car the skies opened up. Going uphill was a lot of work. More than it should have been. I kept bargaining with myself, okay, if I don't stop to walk, I can turn around at 1.5 miles. If I can run 5 min for this half mile, I'll turn around at the bridge. My nose was running, and I kept having to spit. I really needed to pee. I could not get a rhythm; everything just felt off. My monkey mind was scurrying about.

But somewhere around mile 1.5, everything just settled down. My stride and breathing were steady, and I wasn't anywhere near ready to stop. I went all the way to the parking lot at the top, and slapped the signpost at the 2 mile mark with both hands, and turned around.

I didn't worry about speed, or try to fly down the mountain like I usually do. In fact, I didn't even look at my watch once until I was at the bottom. My time wasn't spectacular, but for as slow as I'm sure I was on the way up, it was much faster than I would have expected without pushing it on the way down.

I stretched out using the low stone wall at the parking area for support. As I was stretching my quads, I could hear a group of three older men talking as they came off the trail. One said to the other "Can you get your foot up to your fanny like she can?"

I was giggling, and stopped to chat with them for a moment. They were out fitness walking, and are planning on doing the MJH 4K walk next month - good for them! We had a lovely chat, they asked me about my time on the course today, and they told me how exercise keeps you young. Good advice.

No comments: