Saturday, August 25, 2007

Seven super miles!

Seven at the track. But first, I had to get up extra early, load the coolers and gatorade, and set them up. It was actually not a bad warmup to haul 3 full coolers and a couple gallons of gatorade from my car to the setup point. I was all done setting up by 6, and had plenty of time to socialize and stretch before the run.

After a relatively mild week, it was supposed to get up to 100 today, and the low this morning was around 70, so I made sure to keep on top of the Endurolytes.

2.2 mile hilly warmup. Followed by 4x800 with hills in between, then a 400. I was supposed to run 5:45, 5:15, 5:15, 4:55, and 2:15 or 2:20 on the 400. Oh, and guess what? It's actually a metric track. Who knew?!

I screwed up my math and did 5:20 on the first 800. Then I screwed it up the other way and did 5:17. Then 5:14 (yay!!), 4:54, and, drumroll please, 2:12!!! I just blew it out on the last stretch of the 400. My fingers (and all of me, really) were sweaty and slippery, and it took some fumbling to hit the button on my watch, but it read 2:12.94 when I stopped it. I didn't reset my watch, hoping to keep my kick-ass time there, but I accidentally hit the button again somewhere in the loading/unloading process, gosh darn it.

Other than that, the run was great. I had NO PAIN in my foot for the first time in over a month. Between not having pain, having gotten up a little earlier and done some heavy lifting prior, and accidentally buying caffeinated Shot Bloks, I felt AWESOME.

Anyway, after the run, I shot the breeze waiting for the last of the long runners to come back in. The other person on water duty accidentally emptied the last cooler before everyone was done, oops. We thought everyone was back, but it turned out there were a few doing a cooldown on the warmup route. Luckily, it appeared that band practice or something was starting in the school building, so it was open for water and a/c if anyone needed it. But I felt pretty guilty, especially since I'd made a big effort to have abundant cold (and clean) water and gatorade. The gatorade all got drunk, but there was plenty of water left, at least a gallon or two in each of the three coolers.

On the way home, I realized I'd said "see ya next week!!" to just about everyone when I'm actually not doing the long run with the group, but the Women's Four Miler instead. It's my first time, and I'm really excited, though dreading the traffic and crowds.

No comments: