Monday, June 04, 2007

Back in the pool

I finally made it to my swim lesson today, after having canceled it twice before for my horrible cold. The main pool already had a couple of lap swimmers plus an aquatic fitness class, so we did the lesson in the warm pool. It was warmer than I normally keep my bath, and I was totally wilted by the end of the lesson. I was hugely pregnant when I had my last swim lesson, and I'd been unable to get my body roll back. So the very nice swim instructor showed me a few drills and gave me a few simple pointers to get back on track. You can read this stuff in a book, but until someone watches you and says, "hey, dummy, quit crossing your left arm over" it doesn't really sink in. We also worked on backstroke, which has always been my bugaboo. I'd rather do butterfly (which is kind of fun, though I'm really too embarrassed to do it in public) than do backstroke. Again, a couple of drills and pointers, and I could feel my whole body changing. I also asked that we work on flip turns. I never could figure them out as a kid, and being pregnant just does not work with learning flip turns. So when I tried them today, I was surprised at how easy they were. No water up my nose, no horribly misjudged distances. I definitely need to work on them, but I think I might have gotten that monkey off my back.

Like a bozo, I forgot to bring my workout clothes, so I didn't do more than swim today. I'm planning on doing abs and strength during lunch tomorrow. I might even get out for a short run this afternoon.

No comments: