Monday, November 20, 2006

Epilogue

There was no resting on my laurels. Max got another cold, which manifested itself in a terrible cough that kept us both up for the better part of several nights. Then I got the cough. Then he got the GI bug. Then his papa got the GI bug. No cards, no flowers, no flashbulbs, red carpets, tearful speeches, or telegrams. IronMo got another traffic ticket. But I did get pictures, that show me in all my pale-legged, stiff-gaited glory. And while I quickly gave up on the idea of putting my medal into rotation with my other accessories, I do keep it out on my nightstand. The glory of the whole enterprise was in setting and reaching a goal, and in knowing that my son has a strong, fit, determined mama.

So what's next for Mama Marathon? Not another marathon, not for a while, even though $30 to sign up for Richmond next year very nearly sealed the deal for me. I'm doing a Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving, and a 10-miler in the spring, and in the meantime I'm looking forward to getting back to yoga class, going to the gym, and getting back in to swimming. I'm an ordinary mama, after all.

I'll keep posting here now and again, to update you all on my quest for fitness in motherhood, so don't unplug me from your RSS aggregator. It's a journey, after all. In the meantime, pictures!


Looking sporty. If you look carefully, you can see the top of my cellphone peeking out of the pocket on my left hip.



Mo and I both look a little goofy, but at least we're both smiling! Please note the finish clock - we actually crossed the start nearly 5 min after the gun, so our chip time was 5:34:33. Is it petty to be picky about 5 minutes when it took over 5.5 hours to run the thing? I think not.

No comments: