Sunday, August 03, 2008

eating, drinking, and exercising for two

The past couple of weeks have been scorching hot. Yesterday morning I volunteered to stay behind on the track, as I had to leave a little bit early. I walked about 2 miles, instead of the 3 on the program, knowing that I had a hot and active day ahead.

I raced home so that the Supportive Husband, Max, and I could go to the County Fair. Max is actually the kid on the cover of the program, so despite the heat, we felt pretty obligated to go. For a little while after we arrived, it was quite pleasant - a little overcast, and hot, but not blazing hot, like it usually is. But then the clouds broke, and suddenly it was like being underneath a french fry light.

Being pregnant has completely negated my ability to cope with the heat, so I quickly scurried for shade and cold water while Max and his dad checked out the tractors and got a plastic firefighter's hat. We literally had to drag Max back to the car kicking and screaming.

Despite my active morning, I felt okay. Kind of. Then I took a nap, and did NOT feel okay anymore. I thought it was hard to stay hydrated when I was running and nursing, but being pregnant in August is a whole other ballgame!

I woke up this morning shaky and still dehydrated. I wolfed down a big bowl of cereal, some peanut butter, and a couple of glasses of water. I ate the rest of Max's breakfast. Feeling a little more human, we all headed out to Target and the grocery store. I got the shakes baaaaaad in the grocery store, and inhaled a candy bar. Finally after lunch and another several glasses of water, I started feeling better.

We found some steaks on sale at the grocery store, and after a dinner of steak, potatoes, sweet corn, and salad, I am finally feeling human again. And for my workout tomorrow, I am planning on a lazy swim in the indoor pool. Baby girl needs rest, central ac, and red meat!

No comments: