Saturday, August 16, 2008

4 miles and a lot of heavy lifting

As much as I enjoy walking with the new friends I've made at the w4mtp, I am delighted that there is only one week of training left before the race. All that loud music is making me crazy. I almost left this morning, because the marathon/half-marathon training group was at the track this morning when we arrived. I can't tell you how jealous I was of them as they finished their speedwork on the track. Running is seriously impossible for me right now, let alone running hard. Even if I don't plan on doing a marathon next year (not terribly likely - I already know exactly how hard it is to do with a nursing infant!), I will probably still sign up for the program, just so I can go and pound out a quick 8 on Ridge with the group, or show up for speedwork. I just miss it so much, especially when the weather is cool and clear and perfect.

After the walk, I came home to discover Max in nothing but his Mater underpants, still picking at breakfast, and playing the harmonica. Boys will be boys! The whole fam headed to the pool and we all wore ourselves out. Max of course wanted to jump off the side of the pool about eleventy thousand times, and I obliged and mentally crossed off the need to go lift for the next couple of days. And after watching Curious George do it, he decided he likes to "float" on his back. The water on his head makes him laugh, and he'll kick his feet like he's really swimming. A backstroker, maybe?

Women's marathon is on the Olympics tonight - w00t!

Oh, and if you want to donate money to the UVA Cancer Center Breast Care program to show your support for the cause, for me, and for all the women who have worked so hard to make it to the race this year, please visit https://www.dominiondigital.com/Womens4Miler/donate_step1.asp . If you know me, feel free to sponsor me - just click the appropriate radio button, and then find my name in the list. If you don't actually know me IRL, you can still donate!! No pressure, it's not like we're trying to raise $300,000 or anything. And it's not like I'll be in my third trimester doing the whole four miles on race day while you're at home surfing the web. ;)

1 comment:

Harry said...

I know what you mean about the loud music. I was at the track with the marathon training group and every time I passed by those speakers it actually hurt my ears.

I've got say that I was mightily impressed with one woman I saw running on the track. She had a Red Sox tee-shirt and was, I reckon, 80-ish. (Sorry if I'm wrong, m'am.) This lady was moving right along. Big ups to her. I hope I'm doing that when I'm her age.

We weren't exactly doing speed work today. We were running at our marathon pace goal rate. One mile on the track, one mile on the road, one mile on the track, one mile on the road. Repeat as required. Actually, it was a good workout. The track sections helped us to keep very tight control of our pace times.

I've never trained with a group like this before, but it sure is a wonderful way to prepare for a marathon. Come on back, next year.