Monday, August 11, 2008

Crabby injured pregnant lady

I've reached that point where suddenly my *whole* body is pregnant.

I missed Saturday's training (waaaaaaah) because of sciatica (also waaaaaaaah). Sciatica is when you are walking normally, striding confidently, and then suddenly a fierce shooting pain rips from buttock to foot and you have no choice but to stop in your tracks and grab on to something while blinking back tears. I had this when I was pregnant with Max, and was hoping it would hold off a little longer.

I took the day off Saturday, as much as one can take the day off when a 2.5 year old is involved. I did get to spend some time in the pool on Sunday; between that and scrubbing cat poo off the floor of the basement, my sciatica seems to be much improved this week.

I was just getting over my cat poo and sciatica-induced meltdown when I injured myself again. It is an actual true fact that women's brains shrink during pregnancy. Also true is that your joints loosen up, and your center of gravity changes. Combine all those with the nesting instinct and it is a recipe for disaster.

Last week I suddenly felt the need to clean the HVAC return located above our coat closet. In the process of moving the stepstool so that I could reach it, I stumbled, dropped the stool, and rammed my gluteus into the sharp corner of the kitchen counter. And tonight after work I decided to whip up a pork tenderloin with peach glaze. When it was done, I pulled it out of the oven with my left hand (wearing an oven mitt) and then pulled the meat thermometer out of it with my right hand (not wearing an oven mitt). Yeeeeowch! I am now sporting Star Wars bandaids on my index and middle fingers. The pork was delicious, by the way.

Anyway, what does all this have to do with fitness? Honestly, I can't say. Other than that as my whole self becomes pregnant, I know that staying motivated is more of a struggle. So is staying safe. Wish me luck, Interwebs!

No comments: