Thursday, November 11, 2010

it had to happen sooner or later

I've had such a string of great, uplifting, inspiring runs, that a dud was bound to come my way.

I went for a 3 mile run on my lunch break and it sucked. Suuuuuuuuucked. Suh-hucked. I had a very busy, stressful work morning, and I was so looking forward to blowing off some steam. The second I could break away, I dashed out the door and away I went. Yes, I started out too fast. Rookie! And then I underestimated my route mileage, and realized that I was going to have to do some creative doubling back to get up to three. So then I was tired, burnt out, and running around in circles like an idiot. By the time I finished, I could barely walk, and for some odd reason the pressure of my hat on my head made me feel like I was going to puke.

I usually walk and stretch after a run, but today I sat the f*** down.

But, ever the optimist, I looked for the good in my lousy run.
-It is a PERFECT fall day today. I mean, PERFECT. Cool, clear, beautiful foliage. Oh, your heart just sings on days like this, and I'm grateful to have been outdoors.
-I ran 10:10's. This was the most jaw-dropping for me. My sluggish, crappy run is 10:10's. That's pretty freakin' awesome for me.

4 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

I hate it when things are going along swimmingly and then a crappy run comes out of nowhere. The good thing is, I find that crappy run is usually followed by an awesome one, so here's hoping you have the same experience.

Soccer Mom said...

Your bad runs are still better than mine ;) How do you run at lunch w/o stinking the place up? Me & my coworker have thought of it...I need to start running in a routine again! I MISS It

Anonymous said...

It could have been worse. You could be lactose intolerant, had eaten the mac and cheese from scratch you made the kiddos, and then done the run...not that I know anything about that. Baaaarrrrrfffffff. It takes a crap run (literally and figuratively) to appreciate all the good runs! - (and who are all these other blog followers...it's getting crowded in here :) - Love ya - Robine.

Mama Marathon said...

Terry - I work from home one day a week! Sometimes I'll go to the gym near my work and suffer through a couple miles on the treadmill and take a quick shower before going back.