Saturday, March 14, 2009

Race Report MJH8K

It did not rain as forecast, hooray!

Just a brief race report as I am soooooo tired from the baby waking up at weird hours this week. Of course, she sleeps in for Daddy the morning that I have to get up at 5:30 for the race. And I was up wicked late last night because Max went to Monster Truck Jam and didn't get home till 10:30 pm and was amped up on cotton candy and had a huuuuuge meltdown that lasted until goodness knows when.

So anyway, like I was saying, I woke up at 5:30. Which was really too early for an 8am gun time. But this was my first time this kid for the pre-run pumping thing, so wanted to make sure I had enough time to do that, do my other regular get ready stuff, and make it to pre-race packet pickup. I know, I should have picked up my packet last night, but I think nursing mothers are exempt from that. So I rolled into packet pickup at 6:45 sharp, and was about the only person there. Chatted with Brad from The Corner for a bit, then headed to my parents' place two blocks from the start to watch the morning news, stretch, and hydrate.

Once I headed to the start, I bumped into Louise, who was having a cranky IT band. Between my still coughing stuff up (yes, FIVE weeks later, oy vey) and having lingering pelvic ligament issues, I was planning a strict run-walk strategy to get through the race. Louise and her IT band decided to go slow with me. Nothing much out of the ordinary to report - we ran and chatted; when I took walk breaks, Louise would stop to stretch, and then run to catch up with me. All the normal giant hills kicked my ass, as they do every year. We finished a little shy of my goal time (1 hour) in about 1:02 (maybe 1:03 gun time, I haven't checked the official results yet).

I'm just glad I got out there - it was a good confidence builder for 10 miler training. It's just a few weeks away, and this illness and injury combo has really derailed my training. I am planning to do some 6-8 milers on the Monticello Trail with its lovely, forgiving, perfect, ultra-crushed gravel, and hope for the best on race day.

No comments: