Monday, April 02, 2007

2007: The year I decided to run fast(er)

Okay, so a couple days post-race, the endorphins are long gone, and I'm seriously smarting over that 24 seconds. I wanna run fast! I mean, faster than 11:02/mile. I've had a few long runs where I averaged 10:45-ish, and I'd love to do that on a regular basis, not just when the stars align. I really, really want to break 30 min in a 5K, which is a heck of a lot faster than 10:45. I have a few sub-10:00 in my recent history, I know I can do it. But how do I do it regularly without requiring an act of god?

I have decided I am not doing the Cville Half, nor am I doing the tri in June (sorry Mo and Louise - it's just too much to think about right now). I'm not writing off tri's forever, just for now. And I'm not entirely writing off the possibility of doing Richmond again this year (though I did just miss out on the $55 entry). Distance is good, but it SUCKS being in the bottom 15%.

So, then, how do I get fast? All those things I strenuously avoided last year, like fartleks and hill repeats and track workouts, I need to start doing them. And maybe some more cross-training would be a good idea. And maybe, just maybe, the Mother's Day fairy (or anniversary fairy or xmas fairy or birthday fairy) will send me to the speed clinic.

Short term goal: get a different workout plan. The past year, it's been all about the miles. This year, it's about quality.

Intermediate goal: Break 30 min in a 5K some time this year. The last chance for that in 2007 will be the Turkey Trot. Upcoming chance is the VIA 5k, in 2 weeks.

Long goal: Break 100 min in the 10 miler. Maybe next year, maybe sometime in the future. But it's out there. I'm gonna do it someday!

No comments: