Saturday, January 06, 2007

Six Miles

And it was hot! Seriously, what's up? It was in the mid-sixties by the time we started. It kind of kicked my butt. We were doing part of the 10-miler course. When we started out, the group was pretty large, and there were lots of pairs and trios chatting away. I don't know why, but it really annoyed the crap out of me, and I was regretting not having gotten a nano already. I really just wanted to strap on some headphones and drown out the world. Usually, I welcome the chance to run with friends, and to make new friends along the way. But this morning I was craving solitude. Just me and my new shoes. I avoided joining up with anyone during our two laps around the track, and just tried to tune everyone out.

At the Cville Running Co, one of the group was sitting on the curb, catching her breath. I offered to go back to the track with her, since I was chopping out 2 miles after the Mall that the rest of the group was doing. Her friends left her a GPS or two to take back to the parking lot, which I thought was kind of shitty of them. Dude, your friend is hurting, and you give her an extra burden to carry? I told her I'd run down the Mall and back, and would travel the rest of the way back with her.

She was winded and tired - I think everyone's feeling a little out of shape after the holiday. She kept apologizing for slowing down, but I was grateful every time she slowed to a walk. Since the rest of the group was doing 2 more miles before heading down Main street, we were alone together. Both of us were pretty tired, so there was a lot of silence, which I craved after all the chatter. We made our way through Grounds, and parted ways at the track.

No comments: