Friday, January 01, 2010

non-race report - NYD5K

Because the snow rendered the field used for parking impassable, the New Year's Day 5K was cancelled. I was crushed - it is one of my favorite races! I always look forward to starting the new year right - running in the cold, dreaming of PR's.

So Louise and I did our own 5-ishK this morning instead. At 8:10, five minutes before our scheduled meetup time, I was having serious regrets. The Supportive Husband and I had been out past midnight, communing with our inner gypsy punks at the Gogol Bordello show.

I haven't run outside since I came down with a nasty cold made worse by two days of nonstop snow shoveling. The cold air made my airway feel "itchy." So I've been doing the treadmill at the gym, but since I can only manage about 3/4 mile before I die of boredom, I've been running 1/2 mile, hopping on the bike, running 1/2 mile, lifting weights, running 1/2 mile, doing abs, running 1/2 mile, and stretching. So I was a little apprehensive about how my body would take to running three whole miles all in one stretch.

I shouldn't have been worried. I felt great. Mad props to Louise for poking along at my conversational pace, which I know she can do while reading a book and carrying a baby. My hip tightened up a little at the very end, but otherwise I have no complaints. Airway felt fine.

No complaints - no excuses. Hello, twenty-ten!

No comments: