Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cold and shaky

I started off the week with a terrible cold. I set my alarm for the crack of dawn on Tuesday to go for a cleansing run to help clear my sinuses. I find that if it's just a cold, running usually makes me feel a whole lot better, as long as I have the energy to motivate myself to do it.

I am so glad I did! Tuesday morning was cool, chilly even, after a long spell of hot weather. I didn't wear my GPS, but I got in 2 solid miles, and though I was still a little stuffy, I felt pretty good.

Then came Tuesday afternoon. I was feeling not as energized by then. Work was humdrum, and I was preparing for a 2pm meeting when I heard a noise that sounded like our elderly HVAC system was finally giving up the ghost. And then the building started to shake! And rattle! And the HVAC noise turned into an all-encompassing ROARRRRRRRRR. I knew immediately it was an earthquake, and dove under my desk.

We don't really have earthquakes here, certainly not the 5.8 centered not far from where I live and work. At least one of the schools near the epicenter was damaged so badly that it must be demolished. Which is particularly scary, given that school was in session that day. My neighbor has a crack in her foundation. West Coasters must remember that NOTHING is built to earthquake code here. An earthquake in VA is like a foot of snow in Atlanta.

We've felt a few aftershocks in the days following, but they'll be decreasing in frequency and intensity. Thank goodness. We also got brushed by Hurricane Irene, but thankfully didn't feel the brunt of it, like areas closer to the East Coast.

Meanwhile, my cold turned from an annoyance to an actual illness, complete with fever. I have been pretty much out of commission all week, and finally this morning was able to take a long walk. Running will have to wait another day or two.

The edge of fall is in the air, and I'm excited for the fall/winter training season to begin!

No comments: