Thursday, April 07, 2011

Hitting the trails

It has been a long time since I've done any trail running more trail-y than a fire road. All the stars aligned today, and I hit the park near my house to test the waters. The park consists of a small lake with a beach open for swimming in the summer, a playground, and a picnic area nestled into a valley, and a network of trails that go up and over and around the mountains that ring the little valley. The Supportive Husband and I have taken the kids hiking there many times, and I decided to take one of the longer trails for my run today.

I had never been on that particular trail before, missed the sign for it, convinced myself I was on a different trail, so backtracked after a half mile and returned to the parking lot. I hopped on a different trail, met up with the trail I had meant to be on the whole time, then decided at the spur of the moment to take an intersecting trail that eventually met up with one of the trails we take the kids on. I found it with no trouble this time, and by the time I was back at the car for good, I'd logged just over three miles at a blistering 14 min/mile pace.

It took me quite a while to get into a good groove. I'm used to running being so thoughtless and automatic. It was a whole different experience to have to mindfully place every footfall. I had to cross streams, tiptoe over root systems, avoid loose rocks, climb mountains, descend mountains, navigate switchbacks, and pick myself up after losing my footing on a steep, leaf-covered goat path. It was oh so gentle on my feet and joints, but now all kinds of previously dormant muscles are reintroducing themselves to me. Who knew that just a little change in what was underfoot could make such a difference in my running to both my mind and body.

It was a great break for my mind to have to concentrate on all those other things. I don't think I looked at my watch a single time until the parking lot was in sight. When I wasn't busy placing my feet, I was busy listening to woodpeckers and admiring the view from the backside of the mountain.

What great timing for this run - I've been feeling post-race malaise and lack of motivation since the 10 Miler, and I'd been regretting signing up for the half at the end of the month. I'd been wanting to just bag it, to run when the mood struck rather than when my program dictated, and spend my weekends just hanging out with the kids. Now, I know I can put in the miles for the next few weeks until the race, as long as I've got a few trails runs as a reward.

No comments: